This book is suitable as a desktop reference for everyday use by attorneys & administrators.
It is very useful during EQE (European Qualifying Exam) preparation, as EPO-PCT Guidelines (GL/PCT-EPO) refer to AI, RO GL, & ISPE GL Guidelines.
For answering questions at the EQE, AG-IP and AG-NP are very useful – however, answers should be supported with citations of PCT Articles, PCT Rules and the EPO-PCT Guidelines (REE A.12 and IPREE R.2 & R.22).
** New: our Detailed Table of Content and page numbers for AI, RO GL & ISPE GL. It is also 10% bigger to improve readability. It is printed on thin (50g) paper, with dimensions: 160mm x 230mm x 21mm - 684 pages - 660 g.
It does not include PCT Articles and Rules, or any EPO Guidelines.
PCT information is very fragmented – a lot is available on the WIPO website, but you need to know where to look.
Many applicants and administrators rely solely on what they call the "Applicant’s Guide" – the Introductions to the International and National Phases, which answer most day-to-day questions.
This book contains these main references:
● Introduction to the International Phase (AG-IP): requirements and actions before the International Authorities from the applicant’s point of view. Referenced in EPO-PCT Guidelines (GL/PCT-EPO) as “PCT AG I”.
● Introduction to the National Phase (AG-NP): requirements and actions before the Designated and Elected Offices from the applicant’s point of view.
Many users are unaware of a second level of documentation, which provides much more detail about how the Authorities operate, and how they treat communications from and to the applicant.
This book also contains these supplementary references:
● Administrative Instructions (AI): referenced in PCT Rules, detailing how the Authorities should apply the Rules. Referenced in EPO-PCT Guidelines (GL/PCT-EPO) as “AI”, and in AG-IP as “Section xxx”.
-- Annex A is replaced by our "Overview of Applicant & Office forms". The forms themselves are not included. The forms provide further info about defects, remedies, sanctions and time limits: www.wipo.int/pct/en/forms
-- Annexes B to E are included
-- Annex F (Electronic Filing & Processing Standard - 530 pages) is not included as it is less relevant for applicants. See: www.wipo.int/pct/en/texts/index.html
● Receiving Office Guidelines (RO GL): recommended actions & steps to be followed by RO’s. The information is mainly procedural. Referenced in EPO-PCT Guidelines (GL/PCT-EPO) as “GL/RO”.
● International Search & Examination Guidelines (ISPE GL): recommended actions & steps to be followed by ISA’s & IPEA’s. Substantive subjects such unity of invention and patentability are explained, with useful examples. Referenced in EPO-PCT
Guidelines (GL/PCT-EPO) as “GL/ISPE”.
For each reference, the standard contents have been replaced by our "Detailed Table of Contents", with abbreviated section titles, page numbers and indications of the sections with a major amendment in the last 3 years. They provide a convenient overview of the contents, and help to quickly find the desired information.