The EPO-EPC Guidelines for Examination (www.epo.org) detail the practice and procedure to be followed when examining patent applications before the European Patent Office (EPO) in accordance with the European Patent Convention (EPC) and its Implementing Regulations.
This version is valid from 1 Mar 2021 to 28 Feb 2022.
Our Indexed version improves on the official version by: - grouping the index entries at the front and abbreviating entries to allow quick scanning - using page numbers to speed up getting to the correct page - indicating sections with significant changes in the last 3 years - including the complete official sources, and retaining the original paragraph structure - modifying the contents to fully use the page size, giving better overviews of paragraphs
This Portable Edition uses thinner paper to reduce the thickness and weight. Dimensions: 210mm x 297mm x 15mm - 488 pages - 750g
There is also a Study Edition with thicker paper to make it more suitable for intensive tabbing, annotating and highlighting. For more details, including example pages, see: fireballpatents.com/study-materials
For Exam Candidates, such as European Qualifying Exam (EQE): - this version is the official version for EQE 2022 Main Exam & Pre-Exam.
EPO-EPC Guidelines for Patent Examination – 1 Mar 2021
- DETAILED TABLE OF CONTENTS - GENERAL PART - A: FORMALITIES EXAMINATION
- B: SEARCH
- C: PROCEDURAL ASPECTS OF SUBSTANTIVE EXAMINATION
- D: OPPOSITION AND LIMITATION / REVOCATION PROCEDURES
- E: GENERAL PROCEDURAL MATTERS Procedural matters relevant to several stages in EPO proceedings. Euro-PCT procedures before the EPO as designated / elected Office.
- F: THE EUROPEAN (EP) PATENT APPLICATION EPC requirements other than patentability, including unity of invention (Art. 82), sufficiency of disclosure (Art. 83), clarity (Art. 84), right to priority (Art. 87 to Art. 89).
- G: PATENTABILITY EPC requirements from Art. 52 to Art. 57, including exclusions from patentability (Art. 52(2) and Art. 53), novelty (Art. 54), inventive step (Art. 56), industrial application (Art. 57).
- H: AMENDMENTS AND CORRECTIONS Including questions of admissibility (Rule 80 and Rule 137), compliance with Art. 123(2) and (3), Rule 139 and Rule 140.
- ANN I: INDEX FOR COMPUTER-IMPLEMENTED INVENTIONS (CII) - ANN II: LIST OF SECTIONS AMENDED IN THIS REVISION - ANN III: ALPHABETICAL KEYWORD INDEX