** This book is divided in 2 parts - each part must each be added to your basket separately **
WIPO no longer provides a paper version of their Applicant’s Guidelines, preferring to keep their website up-to-date.
For daily practice, some practitioners may prefer a paper version for the overview – however, details should always be checked on the WIPO website or with the national office.
The EPO is covered extensively, using additional info from the EPO website. See below for the EQE exam notes.
This book is split into 2 parts:
Part 1: Overviews (160 x 230 x 18mm - 475g) - basic info for all States, such as:
● Treaty membership, legal reservations, national entry deadlines, PCT fees, applicant forms, DAS, PPH, restoration of priority, international exhibitions, amending under A.19 and A.34, excusing delays, security restrictions, biological deposit indications etc.
● Applicant’s Guidelines - International Phase (July 2020) & National Phase (Aug 2020) – with our Detailed Table of Contents, page numbers, and indications of sections with major changes in last 3 years.
Part 2: Annexes (160 x 230 x 25mm - 620g) – detailed info for commonly used States and Offices:
● 20 most used RO’s in 2019, and 20 most used DO/EO’s in 2018
● All EPC states, extension and validation states
● All ISA’s, SISA’s, IPEA’s and Regional Treaties
● For CN, EP, JP, KR, US, the complete summary of entry requirements and national procedure
For EQE Candidates:
● This version (31 Oct 2020) is the official version for EQE 2021
● Details from the Applicant’s Guide are essential for the EQE. For example, legal questions are regularly directed to competent ISA’s, national entry time limits, fees due on filing. There is a focus on the EPO.
● Every year, WIPO produces a pdf version of the complete Applicant’s Guide, including all annexes, specifically for the Pre- and Main Exams. But it is 2070 pages and much of it will never be required.
● Using Regulations, past papers and comments from Examination Committees, this abbreviated & improved version has been created to lighten the load and to save a few trees. It adequately covers what you may need, and includes many extra WIPO/EPO overviews to speed up answering questions.
● Answers at the EQE based on Applicant’s Guidelines should be supported by EPC/PCT Articles, Rules, GL/EPO, or GL/PCT-EPO Guidelines citations - IPREE R.22
Changes in Part 2 compared to last year’s version:
• Annexes organized into sections and titles updated
• Changed to top 20 RO / DO / EO’s instead of top 15 as selection criteria for Part 2
• PCT Direct – general info deleted and EPO info moved from Part 1 to Part 2–4 (EP)
• Fees retained for all States in 10. Complete National Chapters
1. PCT States Covered Fully in Part 2 with Notes on PCT States covered
• 20 most used RO’s in 2019 & 20 most used DO/EO’s in 2018 (WIPO statistics)
• All EPC contracting states, extension & validation states
• All ISA’s, SISA’s, IPEA’s and Regional Treaties
2. PCT States NOT Covered in Part 2 with: Notes on PCT States NOT covered
• Note that Part 1 contains basic info for all PCT states
3. ANNEX B: General Info on Most Used States and Offices
-------- with: Agreement EPO-WIPO (1 Jul 20) – OJ 2017, A115 amended
Filing at RO
4. ANNEX C: Most Used Receiving Offices (RO’s)
-------- with: Processing of PCT Direct letter by EPO – OJ 2017, A21
---------------- Filing at IB as RO (FAQs)
5. All States: Competent ISA’s for All RO’s
6. ANNEX D: All International Searching Authorities (ISA’s)
7. ANNEX SISA: All Supplementary ISA’s (SISA’s)
-------- with: EPO acting as SISA – overview based on OJ 2010, 316
8. ANNEX E: All International Preliminary Examining Authorities (IPEA’s)
-------- with: EPO policy for issuing 2nd WO as IPEA – overview based on OJ 2011, 532
National / Regional Entry
-------- Note that Part 1-31 contains an Overview of National Entry Deadlines (30 - 32m) for All States
9. Summaries of Entry Requirements for Most Used DO/EO’s
10. Complete National Entry Chapters for Top 5 DO/EO’s
- CN/JP/KR/US: complete with summary. procedure, fees. All forms deleted.
- EP: complete with sumary, procedure, fees. All forms except 1200 Form and Notes deleted