This book is suitable as a desktop reference for everyday use by attorneys & administrators.
It is recommended for EQE (European Qualifying Exam) candidates because EPO-PCT Guidelines (GL/PCT-EPO) contains many references to AI, RO GL, & ISPE GL Guidelines. For answering questions at the EQE, AG-IP and AG-NP will help with the general part and some details. Answers should be supported with citations of PCT Articles, Rules and EPO-PCT Guidelines (REE A.12 and IPREE R.2 & R.22).
These Guidelines will be in force on 31 Oct 2020, so they will be the official ones for EQE 2021
For more details, including sample pages, see: fireballpatents.com/study-materials/complete-pct-ag
** New: Citation index added for AG-NP, font size increased for RO GL and ISPE Indexes, WIPO has deleted Annex A of RO GL and updated unity examples in ISPE GL
It is printed on thin (60g) paper, with dimensions: 160mm x 230mm x 25mm - 706 pages - 690 g. It does not include PCT Articles and Rules, or any EPO Guidelines.
--------- PCT info is very fragmented. Applicant’s Guide (AG-IP & AG-NP) covers common issues, but there is a lot more available to complete the puzzle. This book includes all the higher and lower levels of the WIPO Guidelines: ● Introduction to the International Phase (AG-IP): requirements and actions before the International Authorities from the applicant’s point of view. ● Introduction to the National Phase (AG-NP): requirements and actions before the Designated and Elected Offices from the applicant’s point of view. ● Administrative Instructions (AI): referenced in PCT Rules, detailing how the Authorities should apply the Rules. -- Annex A is replaced by our "Overview of Applicant & Office forms". The forms themselves are not included. The forms provide further info about defects, remedies, sanctions and time limits: www.wipo.int/pct/en/forms -- Annexes B to E are included -- Annex F (Electronic Filing & Processing Standard - 530 pages) is not included as it is less relevant for applicants. See: www.wipo.int/pct/en/texts/index.html ● Receiving Office Guidelines (RO GL): recommended actions & steps to be followed by RO’s. The information is mainly procedural. ● International Search & Examination Guidelines (ISPE GL): recommended actions & steps to be followed by ISA’s & IPEA’s. Substantive subjects such unity of invention and patentability are explained, with useful examples.
For each part, the standard contents tables have been replaced by our "Detailed Table of Contents", with abbreviated section titles, page numbers and indications of the sections with a major change in the last 3 years. They provide a convenient overview of the contents, and help to quickly find the desired information.
2. PCT fees on 1 Sep 2020 with: Overview of Competent ISA’s for RO’s
3. Introduction to International Phase (AG-IP) - 1 July 2020 3.1. Detailed Table of Contents 3.2. Applicant’s Guide (International Phase) 3.3. Subject & Keyword Index 3.4. Citation Index (Articles, Rules, Administrative Instructions)
4. Administrative Instructions (AI) - 1 July 2020 4.1. Detailed Table of Contents 4.2. Administrative Instructions 4.3. Annex A: Overview of Applicant & Office Forms (RO / IB / ISA / SISA / IPEA) ** Forms are NOT INCLUDED. Download: www.wipo.int/pct/en/forms 4.4. Annex B: Unity of Invention 4.5. Annex C: Standard for Presentation of Sequence Listings 4.6. Annex D: Front Page Info Included in Gazette - R.86.1(i) 4.7. Annex E: Info Published in Gazette - R.86.1(v) 4.8. Annex F: Standard for Electronic Filing & Processing (Overview only) ** NOT INCLUDED - 530 pages. Download: www.wipo.int/pct/en/texts/index.html 4.9. Annex G: Notification of Receipt and Transfer of Fees (**NEW**)
5. Receiving Office (RO) Guidelines (RO GL) - 1 Jul 2020 5.1. Detailed Table of Contents 5.2. Receiving Office Guidelines 5.3. Diagram of Page Showing Main Layout Requirements 5.4. Annex A: [DELETED] (**NEW**) 5.5. Annex B: Examples of Typical Defects in Request & Corrections by RO
6. International Search & Preliminary Examination Guidelines (ISPE GL) - 1 July 2020 6.1. Detailed Table of Contents 6.2. International Search & Preliminary Examination Guidelines 6.3. Flowchart of Typical International Application Processing 6.4. Examples Where Search or Examination Possible, with an Indication in WO 6.5. Examples of Exceptional Situations Where No Search Possible 6.6. Examples Concerning Unity 6.7. Examples Concerning Inventive Step
7. Introduction to National Phase (AG-NP) - 6 Aug 2020 7.1. Detailed Table of Contents 7.2. Applicant’s Guide (National Phase) 7.3. Citation Index (Articles, Rules, Administrative Instructions) (**NEW**)